Jun 24, 2013

Tracking the blog traffic – why my blog future is based on erratic page views

Before I began, I would like to inform you about my addictions with “pageviews” analysis that blogger provides to all blog owners.

I have read several articles informing and educating bloggers to not follow page views all day long. I have also read the more philosophical view point on how it does not matter if you have less number of viewers.

But irrespective of how low or stupid or newbie it might sound, my addiction to keep checking the number of page views in day never ends. When I started blogging again and I kept going back to check my page views, every time I told myself “don’t worry, you will get over it soon” However, I have now realized that it isn’t going to end.

To check your blog in morning to see how many brains you fed with your blabber while you were sleeping, to come back and check the blog again after that very long boring meeting, and taking a final count of the day and mentally review the performance before sleeping has its own thrill.

There must be many who are above this page view addiction because their blogs are now followed by hundreds of those whom they do not know. But think of the time, when you didn’t have those followers. When each like counted, each comment counted. When a day with low page views made you feel that your future as a blogger is in dead.

Well if you still can’t relate to me and my addiction, you can choose to stop reading this post here. But if you really want to try to understand how my blog future depends on this, please continue.

There are varieties of bloggers in the world. No, don’t take me wrong. I don’t mean to relate it genre. I am talking about habits of the bloggers. (And this is my personal analysis, so if you do not agree, you can comment but don’t get offended)

There are early morning bloggers (I prefer to blog than jog), first thing in office blogger (before boss starts his day, I must blog), during the break blogger (I take a five minute blogging break), all day blogger (blogging is my job, I don’t work but blog), before I leave work blogger (I must blog before I leave), as soon as I am home blogger (I can’t wait after I am home), post dinner blogger (I should blog for a while as my dinner digests), late night blogger (the world has slept, I should now blog), Weekday blogger (I don’t blog over weekends), Weekend blogger (I don’t blog over weekdays), lastly my favorite, All time blogger (no matter what I do, where I am, my blog is always open)

Now, depending on what blogger I am, (as of now I belong to “all time blogger” but have my slow time and high time) I get my audience. There is no concrete basis to say that, but in few months of blogging I have realized that there are no random visitors. You have to hunt your visitors, lure them by reading and liking their posts, be present at the right time with right content, etc. (we have read enough about how to increase readers)

Being the newbie that I am, now it is some effort and some luck that I get my erratic page views. The days I put in more efforts, I am likely to have more views, the days I don’t, I am likely to have a disappointing day. However, as far as there is a positive relationship between my effort and result I am satisfied. But certain days are weird.

There are some days (especially Monday and Saturdays) when I usually get best views in a week. This is no way depressing. It gives me a general happy feeling to see my page view reach anew height on these days without extra effort.

But there is one day particular which always disappoints me (Sunday). No matter what I do, I never get good stats on Sunday. I try so hard. I read posts even of the genre that I usually don’t. I am a bit generous with comments than other days, but it doesn’t work.

I had no clue about it why until recently. I did a serious analysis and as a result I have concluded that there is a breed of blogger which is most in India and that is “Office time Blogger”, as long as they are in office they blog. (If you want to corroborate my opinion, just check the number of online bloggers on writeup café on a weekday versus weekends)

However, I am still clueless about Saturday (except the only explanation I have is that there are several companies who are working on Saturday).

My dear bloggers, if I don’t get over my page view addiction and if you don’t start blogging on Sunday, my future as a blogger is in serious jeopardy.

9 comments:

  1. I blog and visit every blog throughout the week and it's kind of 24*7 service.....But I must admit you have got a really big appetite for your blog and I am sure that is going to make your blog famous..Don't Worry..Good luck be with you... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I don't know about making it famous and big, but it's nice to see people appreciating the efforts. Also, it is about a learning process and a growth curve...as long as I grow and learn I enjoy..

      Delete
  2. LOVE what you posted....I'm the type who constantly checks my stats too.. :)

    Good luck with your blog!

    -am not sure why my name doesn't appear...this is Preeti of fuchsiaoutbutsts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Preeti,
      Thanks..it makes me happy to hear that am not the only one...I have seen your blog too, love a few things about it

      Delete
    2. Preeti your name doesn't appear because you r commenting using your open Id that is ur wordpress blog url,if want your name to be appear you can comment using google id

      Delete
  3. That is quite some analysis.. I am a newbie too.. I do get thrilled when i see new followers, likes and comments .. I havent yet got stuck to the number of pages.. but now that I have tasted blood with your post.. i want to see my pageviews too.. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am i begining to de-train people of what the good bloggers are supposed to be trained for :p

      Delete
  4. I get cranky when I don't get a decent number of page views per day. You have solved the mystery for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha :-)
      Can I please write a disclaimer that the views here are just applicable in my blog and am not sure others also face the same issue.

      Delete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)