Jul 4, 2013

Coffee, chai and Delhi monsoons…

 Most of my life I have lived travelling and relocating in various cities. However, my major base for last 7 years has been in Delhi and I love monsoons in Delhi.

For those who haven’t experienced, monsoon in Delhi isn’t like Mumbai or Kolkata where pouring doesn’t stop for days. In Delhi, even in what we call the rainy season, we get to see rains only about once a day for an hour or two. Therefore, we never get bored of rains and welcome it with open arms and happy smiles (and with a cup of chai/coffee).

The second thing I love is Tea and coffee…I like to call tea “chai”. Tea reminds me of sophisticated English household where the host can be judged from her tea making skills (reminds me of Jane Austen books)

There are a few places where I love to be when it rains. Either because I love the chai or coffee at that place or the view is splendid.

Well, my top most pick is my office. It isn’t open for public of course (but I still love to brag about it) but to watch rain falling on trees and bushes from the big French window and the smell of wet mud is pure bliss. I know it sounds weird that how can someone love her office, but I do.

If not at my office, I like to sip a cup of coffee at one of the roof top places at Khan Market (maybe café turtle or big chill). A book in hand, a nice cappuccino and rains, these three things together can make my week better.

I don’t own a car but I love to drive around in rains. A good friend, good music and a slow long drive, stop by at a chai stall and feel the warmth of chai through ceramic mugs or chai glasses. Inhale the deep aromas of nicely boiled tea leaves and indulge in sweet taste of milky chai is good enough to forget all worries in the world. One of my favorite places to  have chai at this time is the lane of IIFT in Qutub Institutional Area (I’ll come back about this lane in my next post)

The reason this place is low on the list, is that the Hauz Khas village gets really muddy and dirty during rains. However, if you see the clouds and the weather forecast on your phone predicts the rains, fill your flask with chai or coffee (mine depends on mood and availability of ingredients) and head to the village. Cross the village, go find a place at one of the alcoves at Hauz Khas heritage complex. Carry your smart phone, tab or your diary and explore the writer in you.

Lastly, if nothing else is possible, pulling a chair to the balcony, a cup of tea and old hindi songs work the best.

In short, Delhi rains are blissful and I love to indulge. If you love them as much as I do, try one of these and enjoy.

Happy monsoon.


(Photo courtesy - Google, posted under UBC - Day 4)

18 comments:

  1. Loved this post bcoz it reminded me of my years in Delhi.Very well written Sugandha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the kind of Rains U mentioned Sugandha... It gives you time to admire and enjoy the experience than focus on the negatives that rains bring around in Mumbai..
    But then it is also about your perspective Sugandha that made me feel dreamy with the feeling of rains and wonder when do I get it to experience it like that :)
    Thank you for Word Imagery of your fav rain places in Delhi..Had a good time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to what you say...I have lived in Mumbai during monsoon and the rains after an extend gets depressing.
      But even in Mumbai, I have my fav picks...I love to get a rain coat, grab a coffee from CCD and walk at carter road.
      Try doing that :D

      Delete
  3. i love the rains too and every single thing that u mentioned except the cuppa... Nagpur rains are phenomenal too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I havent been to Nagpur yet...its on my list...do you think I should choose Monsoon to visit?

      Delete
  4. Monsoon is always a great time... Nice post.
    I remembered something from TEA.
    Check it out sometime:
    http://brendanantondabhi.blogspot.in/2013/06/the-kitli-much-more-than-just-tea.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read the post...I fully agree! Quite nice...

      Delete
  5. I love the rains too and this post made me miss the rains from Mysore/Bangalore!
    I love drinking chai and coffee too and there's nothing more comforting than the feeling of a hot mug in your hands on a cold, rainy day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...Bangalore rains are too good too :)

      Delete
  6. In Mumbai when it rains, it pours. Some years ago we were in Delhi and loved the city for its gardens,opens places, the Dilli Haat is unique.Later we visited Agra and a visit to the Taj Mahal is incomplete. Wish to visit Delhi once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalpana, there is a lot more if you visit now...However, i love rains and Mumbai rains are crazy

      Delete
  7. all of us are presently enjoying a rather healthy monsoon in North india and so your post doesnt take us down the memory lane but just round the corner in terms of an hour or so. Ohh how I love chai + balcony + monsoon + music + book. I can pay by hour for this!!

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  8. well I love rains too..but only when I am inside my house and watching it throught the window :D :D.. and yes a hot cuppa choc or coffee does it for me :) :).. nice post sugandha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try going out...I think you'll like that too :)

      Delete
  9. Tea or coffee with some hot bhaji is the right combination for a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally...but the rains for this yer are over :(

      Delete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)