Jul 19, 2013

When it rains in Delhi...

I have been writing several posts on what are the monsoon recommendations or wishes or things I like to do, but I have not mentioned one thing that I love the most.

The thought of it takes me back to childhood when my raining meant my mother scolding me.

Although not much has changed. Now my mother laughs at it or sometime joins me.

It is getting drenched in rain.

Seldom there is a heavy rain in Delhi. Most of the time it is just a drizzle or a small shower. A heavy rain after hours of cloudy dark sky has its own charm.

Clouds like those puts everyone in action. People leave work early, housewives start preparing snacks or takes clothes off the line. Everyone is preparing themselves for hours of rain. But I begin to dream. 

I change into my comfortable clothes and wait for it to actually rain. And when it does, I step out on my terrace, first hugging myself and then opening my arms and embracing the water force.

Small, fierce, cold, needle like drops the hit the skin with force and make it irresistible to rub the skin.

Small puddles of water, jumping in them and splashing leads to songs.

Water and songs have certain connection. There are bathroom singers, I am a rain singer. To sing a nice song while I jump, hop and dry my face every two minute comes naturally.

Drag the person around, mostly my mother or just dreaming about a loved one being along is what comes in the package.

In the end, after I have had my heart full (that doesn't happen usually because the rain stops) I like to take my mug of chai and stand in the balcony.

Have you ever tried? My suggestion is, if you haven't as an adult, pleas go ahead and revive your childhood.

Ps. I would love to hear your experience and thoughts on getting soaked in rain.

16 comments:

  1. I do that sometimes....and its awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my schooldays, I used to get wet and I did not mind it. But now I hate to step out.splash splash. I avoid going out in the rains.But love to gaze out from the window when it pours.In Mumbai there is no respite from heavy rains this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalpana I'd say there is no age limit to enjoy getting drenched...try doing it :)

      Delete
  3. Last I did that, my Mother gave me the death stare..But it is sooooooooo much fun... I have heard about Delhi rains and the Mumbaite in me envies you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time pull her in rain along...she'll forget her stare and become a child with you :)

      Delete
  4. love rain........missing it here :-(
    http://hindustanisakhisaheli.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ya i do that all the time... I forget my raincoat of umbrella at home on purpose.. so that I can get drenched :D .. otherwise nice scolding from everyone at home :( ... and I come back and no chai coffee...i love to have a cold coffee which mummy makes.. oh how much emotional blackmail I have to do to get that.. but i love it.. sit near the window wrapped in a blanket and get that ice cold coffee in your throat :) :)

    And you changed the design of your blog... I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...that sounds like a good thing to do...

      Delete
  6. yeah that the problem in delhi .. right now .. nicely written !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a couple of weeks back I got drenched. Ahhh the monsoons in north india are super fun! and the part where you can drench yourself is like the icing on the cake :)

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well..rains are worth admiring ... but from a shade ... for me .. I love chai forsure .. but getting wet has always been accidental never intentional !! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D
      Try getting wet intentionally...it is opposite of accidental.

      Delete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)