Aug 17, 2013

Midnight phone call

At the stroke of Midnight my phone rang. The voice on the phone sang, “Happy Birthday to you…” the voice was so sweet that I couldn’t bring myself to say that it was a wrong number.

It was only when I replied after her song got over she realized that she had got the wrong number.

She was the girl in my class who was wanted to wish birthday to her best friend and accidently dialed my number.
It was the first time I had really heard her. After apologizing, she hung up, but there was no sign of sleep in my eyes. Her small birthday song rang in my ears.

Next morning I was one of the first to enter the class. I took my seat close to where she usually sat.
In next fifteen minutes class filled up and eventually started. She was nowhere to be seen nor was her best friend.

I could not concentrate during the next forty minutes. I didn’t read a word of what was being taught. At every little noise in the corridor made me turn.

It was in the second class that her best friend came in. I fanatically looked around but still no sign. The day went on. I was my restless best. My friend took note of it and walked up to me in the break.

“Nitin, where are you today man??? What’s wrong? You took corner seat, didn’t even say hello to any of us today nor were you concentrating in the class.” He bombarded.

“Nothing dude! Just not well” I tried to dissuade him. But that was Rishi. He wouldn’t stop till I told him the entire story so I got up and we got out of the class.

“It is her…” I started and saw Rishi stopped in his tracks. I dragged him along and continued… “You know Jyoti, it is her. She called me accidentally last night and I can’t stop thinking about her since then.”

“Who? Jyoti? Naina’s best friend? She called you? Why? Accidentally? What do you mean?” He started with his never ending question.

I led the way to canteen ordered the cold drink and told him the entire incident and how I was looking for her since morning.

Rishi was suddenly sober. He cleared his throat… “Dude, don’t you know that she has taken a transfer? She had applied for Delhi Campus and she got through. I guess she must have left over the weekend…but tu chinta mat kar…bhai ko pyaar ho gaya hai, use to hum dhoond hi lenge...

But I had stopped listening. My heart broke. I wouldn’t call it love…but she was certainly my first crush.

After that day, each time I hear someone singing the birthday song I remember the night when I heard her.

This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.

17 comments:

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)