Sep 3, 2013

Seven arguments for and against my country

In light of the recent debate upon depreciation of value of rupee, corruption, lack of security, etc. I often found myself loathing the nation that I was born in. I no longer remembered the moments of proudly singing the national anthem and saluting to our national flag. I started comparing my life to those who are settled in developed countries. But then amidst all this something happened – a discussion with a friend who is totally anti-India made me think that somewhere within me is someone who still believes in the greatness of this nation.

This post is a mere reflection of turmoil that goes inside my brain and maybe yours too.

1. Poverty – Everywhere you go, you see poverty. You see beggars, slum dwellers, people struggling to earn two basic meals without any social security.

1. Generosity – The number of free food arrangements in Gurudwaras, temples and mosques is unbelievable. Be it a festival or a family function, a mere visit to temple or a grand ceremony, Indians believe in sharing. In the name of God, ancestors and luck, we share our meals, our means with needy and poor.

2. Corruption – I needn’t write anything on this. Everywhere we go, we discuss corruption in Indian politics.

2. Corruption – A belief that it begins with me. I need to fight it. I need to avoid the easy way out even though there is one.

3. Lack of Infrastructure – Poor road, mismanaged sewage, electricity shortage, etc. this country’s list of poor infrastructure can go on and on.

3. Culture – On those poor roads, every time you travel 50km and beyond, the cultural dynamics change. Languages, food, lifestyle, clothing – India has the largest cultural diversity.

4. Illiteracy – Look at poorly managed schools, children and adult who cannot write or read. There are people who cannot even speak Hindi let alone English.

4. Skills – It is a well-known fact that Indians have one the most diverse skill sets. Be it embroidery or handwork, carpet making, pottery, brass work or iron work. India is known for handicraft and skills that rural artisans possess. India is world’s largest exporter of hand crafted products.

5. Insecurity – Being a woman, I often get worried about my security in the nation where rapes and murders are every day story.

5. Insecurity – Having travelled a bit, I know that people are same everywhere. Rapes and murders happen in great nations too. I also know that a lot of safety comes at our own hands. This sounds like a defense in vain but that is the truth. I recently read a story of a woman who was raped inside her own house in one of the developed nations.

6. Depreciating value of rupee – India’s economy seems to be sinking. My industry seems to be sinking. My career seems to be in danger.

6. Global Recession – We all know different countries go through different recession period. Each economy has its own cycle. India is just going through its own.

7. Communal wars – Riots, curfews, Hindu-Muslim fights, etc. This country seems to have never evolved after 1947.

7. Diversity – Cultural and communal diversity in this country is like no other. Four major religion, with over 100s of communities and cultures live together in a single nation making it one the most culturally diverse nation.

To sum it up, there are two sides of each coin. If I seek one, second comes along. Each nation, each community, each situation has its pros and cons. And it depends on us of what we make of it. Somewhere between loathing and criticizing the politicians, economists and community, there is an Indian who praises the culture, values, diversity, heritage, skill and humanity of this nation. While making the plans to shift abroad for a better job or better life, there is an Indian who proudly salutes the Indian flag and fondly sings Jan Gan Man…

Read the post from Day 2 - Seven places I'd like to travel to

32 comments:

  1. Dear Sir/Madam,

    We would like to send our books for review in your blog. We are a leading publishing company and venture into all categories of Books. Attaching a company profile for your perusal. You can also visit www.leadstartcorp.com .

    Can you please confirm the name, contact details and your address for us to send in our books.

    And also you can have a look at the link mentioned below about the review of our bestseller "ASURA" of 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty5k8H8BXQc#at=33

    Awaiting for your reply



    Thanks & Regards,

    Jagjit Singh Chawla.
    Assistant Manager - Marketing
    Leadstart Publishing Pvt Ltd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, well balanced post, liked the way you chose to highlight both the positives as well as the negatives of our country

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am all for what you have said Sugandha. All your pros and cons sounds so true.

    There are two sides of each coin. If I seek one, second comes along

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a balanced perspective and so well written, Sugandha. I believe that India will rise above the problems and let's do our bit. Also, I strongly feel that India is not a rape country and other countries have the problem. Yeah, it's a critical phase and we need to come together whether staying in India or abroad.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vishal...I dont see India as a rape country. In a way it is good that our media is stronger than it is in many countries.

      Delete
  5. In the context of your post, well expressed conundrum Sughandha.. there is this line from the film Madras Cafe that resonates over and over again... criticizing the national policies or the nation does make one anti national, and being patriotic is a totally different ball game..

    Pins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am yet to see the movie...I am trying to define patriotism in modern day word.

      Delete
  6. I am going to tell you one thing. A lot is what goes from outside. I mean macro economics is changing the way govt reacted to things, and now it is making our govt not react. very weird and deep but well all things you have mentioned are truly worrisome.

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Richa...I get thouroughly confused at times and thing if it is a false pride I carry or I worry too mch for nothing.

      Delete
  7. And life goes on!

    The only major worrisome thing for me about India is the total lack of community sense especially in the cities. We do not seem to have a sense of belonging to the city, state, country. That forms the root cause for all else. If we had to live up to the standards that we assume that our Society has then we would do a lot of things differently from what we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suresh...I'd partially agree..society is made up of people. Which standards are we talking about? I come from a very small town. and situation is no different there.

      Delete
  8. Our great nation deserve better citizens and i am afraid to say but we are not the quality of citizens India Deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nation is bult up of its people Prakhar, if we are not good enough, our nation isn't great.

      Delete
  9. Been away from India now, I just miss that place and guess that made me see the brighter side of her. As you said two sides of a coin... when you have a great nation you will have problems too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the bright side of India too...but it's just that a layer of dust has dimnished the shine...

      Delete
  10. Though I agree with your views, I think you could have handled it in a better way. Somehow the holistic picture is missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it so? Abhra it was a mere reflection of thoughts...i will try to keep that in mind during my next post...
      thanks for feedback.

      Delete
  11. India is definitely the place to be. No doubt. The people are good too. Its the priorities and outlook of an individual that affects his actions. The beliefs and value systems with which a person is brought up also contributes to their behaviour in society. Our fear of what society may say, how our actions affect our family and its reputation...prevents citizens from speaking out and taking a stand. But now...things have obviously changed and the press is stronger than ever. Our students are much more aware and are happily willing to do their bit. Every individual contribution is definitely going to make a difference. Loved your post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Preethi...I guess I needed this assurance...

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mixture of all these comprised our country India. some to worry some to applaud. well written post.

    Have you Nibbled Promptly?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well balanced views, You have portrayed thoughts of many people who cannot put it in words (Like me). But personally I'm not able to compromise myself with the pros, the cons seems to affect me the most.

    I'm a victim of a simple case and am not able to file an FIR in a local police station, whereas I've done the same over a simple phone call abroad. These kinda situations makes me lose hopes that changes will occur in future.
    Ajeeth boaz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ajeeth well that's what it is...frustration and at the same time i want to defend when you or any other criticizes...

      Delete
    2. Good thats the spirit... I wasn't generalizing or criticizing just quoting the facts that I faced in my experience.

      Delete
    3. I do understand that...lets hope we see a better future.

      Delete
  15. there are such important things to address and desperate measures need to be taken but then we are still stuck with khan wars

    you can check out my post here-
    Karan - Brother

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)