Sep 7, 2013

Seven unique characterstics of Delhi

I am quite upset about the end of this festival. I have had a great time writing and reading. But today, I don’t feel like writing at all. Keeping in mind that this is the last post for the festival I decided to go a little expressive about the city I have come to love even after its unique characterstics that amuse me.

This is a personal list, so I hope I am not offending anyone.
1. Over dressed up people – Be it a wedding or a walk around Greater Kailash market. I have never felt over dressed in Delhi. My little make up or big earrings are easily suppressed by girls in flamboyant clothing, high heels and actress like make up. I have never understood why they do it and how they manage to do it.

2. VIP entry only places – Nightclubs, gym, spa and a whole list of place which are members only/VIP guests only. The point I am making here is – Delhi’s craze for such places. A simple place, advertising that it is open by invites only and the entire Delhi is interested.

3. Political connection – From my neighbor next door to the man I met in metro, everyone seems to have at least one political connection. Do you think I should find one too?

4. Cars and watches – I believe Delhi has the maximum number of car sale and watch sale. I don’t know if there is a connection, but reportedly they both are excellent “show off” material. Not to forget the new add on to list – mobile phones.

5. Louis Vuitton –The number of Louis Vuitton I have seen in Delhi (be it fake or original) I haven’t seen it anywhere. I wish I could copy the accent of Louis Vuitton of the aunties around me on the blog.

6. Daaru – (Alcohol) Whiskey – I am yet to understand Delhi’s love for drinking and bragging about drinking. I always thought it was taboo to discuss your drinking habits till I reached Delhi. Oh man, Delhi loves to talk about how much they can drink.

7. Chicken – Or should I call it chickan in true Delhi style. Having turned vegetarian after being a non-veg for four years I often state that I did so because of the overdose of chicken everywhere. I have read nutritional value of fish and red meat over chicken, but no. We dilliwalas love our tandoori chicken.

I have lived in all metros of India and each has its unique characteristics. But Delhi has something of a different league. I can actually write a second list of things that I find surprising/annoying/interesting about Delhi but for now, I end it here and leave it to you to add in comment section.

31 comments:

  1. Captured Delhi in seven, Sugandha :) Been a Delhiwallah for 16 years, so I can quite appreciate your observationa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have now been in Delhi for over 8 years...so it's not a quick observation...

      Delete
  2. Beautifully captured. Guess! Delhi famous for Daaru with our Punjabis friends..kidding:) Nice to read about Delhi characteristics and being the capital, guess everybody will be famous for political connection. Now, u prompting me to spend a year in the capital city. I love the city despite being there for one week during an official visit:)
    www.vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you must...it is actually a fun city to be in...

      Delete
  3. Having lived all my life in Delhi, this just made me smile. The overdressed people and Louis Vuitton are the perfect ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe every city has +ve as well -ve elements.You just have to live with both and enjoy your stay as much as you can................
    Would love to here the good points as well...:)

    http://sailorswiferamblings.blogspot.com/2013/09/seven-lessons-on-successful-blogging.html


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dev I am not saying that they are negative. they are just unique about Delhi

      Delete
  5. I have been to Dilli once and the political connection thing holds true. Good observations

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't say much about Delhi, because I am yet to see this place. However, would like you to know that I too am crazy for big earrings...specifically danglers in oxidized, silver, plastic, metal, feather, etc.,anything will do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You missed the guess purses when you listed louis vitton :P :P I miss Delhi! I miss the pretentiousness of that place, it is endearing to me now :"( I want to go back soon!!

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have given such a colorful description! I have never been there but can see it come alive in my mind through your words! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delhi revisited in Unique style.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't know if that list is exhaustive. As a I student I had high hopes for Delhi and I started my professional life at the heart of the city - but the span of nearly two years was hardly enjoyable and mostly because I felt the people are no cordial in any since. Brutal money-mindness, lack of personal touch - that's Delhi for me, even today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Masti hai mastano ki dilli :-)
    good post
    http://hindustanisakhisaheli.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Abhra I feel that each place has good and bad...and the corporate world is like that...we can't really do much regarding that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You nailed them all! One addition can be the love for Hinglish! (* I taell you, aavar bai...kuch kaam ni karti theek se. Faed up!)
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well well, I have stayed in Delhi for a couple of years; I have worked there....I guess there might be 70 things to add :D

    These 7 form the backbone though....well written post!

    Cheers
    Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delhi has everything. It's a cosmopolis, you see.

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)