Sep 20, 2013

Survival for underprivileged and orphan children

Once again in my life I came across a situation where I met a girl whose future was endangered. An orphan at the age of six, this girl landed at my house seeking job at when she was nine year old through a reference.

Torn between the ideology and the reality, my mother reluctantly agreed to give her a job that fetched her two meals, provided her with a safe housing and in addition an assurance to education.

When I met her, working in my house, which mainly included playing with my niece and ensuring that she is not engaged in chewing something wrong, my first reaction was rage at my mother on hiring a child labor.

However, my mother told me her entire story and calmed me down. I, working in the social responsibility field, could still not allow this till this was a last option.

I did a quick Google search on help that is available for orphans and child labors. There were a few NGOs working in this sector. A small verification told me that they received very little grant and several layers of authorities make it impossible for any government money to reach there. On top of it, general conditions in many such NGOs is pitiable and children often try to escape.

Staying with relatives for orphaned children, often results in no education and especially in case of girls it is more so. In addition, staying in these slums without their parents makes these kids vulnerable to sexual abuse.

I often question that in absence of any social security and government run mass programs for orphans, what does future hold for these children?

Please let me know if you know any remarkable organization which is really doing a commendable job beyond capital cities.


This is my post for my project Blog for a cause.


5 comments:

  1. Have always loved the concept "Blog for cause"...
    Feels good to see there are people around, who are ready to take an initiative.
    Nice post Sugandha.
    Will definitely let you know if i come across any such organisation.
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I agree with you completely that the government don't reach out to them and the conditions of NGOs are not really that encouraging all the time. If you ask my opinion then I will say that we need to make efforts on our own as best as we can to support humanity. You can not help everyone but definitely you can help one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abhra for understanding.I dont know what is the best, but I am still looking for solution.

      Delete
  3. Till today we see people hiring small kids to take care of their babies at home. They take them where ever they go, shopping malls, weddings any place...and their job is to run behind the kids...sad. will reach out to people I know to see if any help can be given.

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)