Dec 12, 2013

My unforgettable travel memories

I have lived most of my life away from my family. Although I haven’t travelled much in the literal sense, there have been numerous journeys between my parent’s home and my several bases. I often laugh that I can write a book on memoirs of my journeys.

If you have ever travelled by Indian Railway as much as I have, I am sure you will have a memory bank of your own. This write tribe prompt gave me an excellent opportunity to recall a few of them.

1. It was May, 2009. I had to come back to college during summer breaks on a short notice, and no matter what I couldn’t have missed it. I managed to get a ticket in one of the worst trains. Since a friend was supposed to join me after a station, I was okay. The journey started uneventful. As the train slowed down on the next station, I could see my friend standing. However, she stood long before the actual compartment location. In one minute of stoppage, she managed to get herself onto the right compartment but her luggage was left behind and had to be thrown in some general compartment.
In her luggage she had her bag, wallet, laptop and the only set of formals that she were to wear next day. Desperate to get the bag, we ended up pulling the chain and walking up and down all general compartments of the train until we found the bag. We had to ultimately pay a penalty of Rs.1000.

2. For one of journeys, we had our tickets in the waiting list. Since it was WL1 & 2, we were sure that it will get confirmed. Only after we sat in the train without confirming and train left the town, we got to know that our tickets were not confirmed. 200 kms later we were asked to get off and we had to complete the remaining 500km standing in a general compartment of a local train.
What is interesting to note is I had a cramp in my ankle and had crepe bandage on for the entire journey.  

3. This is what I call as Jab we met moment. The train had stopped at a station and I stepped out to buy cold drinks. I was aware that train stopped here for 20 minutes, but since it was running late, I was a bit apprehensive. While the shopkeeper was collecting cash for the glasses he had just delivered, he suddenly looked up and said “Sorry”. It was all so confusing until I turned back and saw that the train was moving. Unwilling to part with my cold drinks for which I had paid, I ran towards my coach with two glasses. A helpful man tried to help me get through and as I got in with his help, I dropped the entire glass on his white shirt.
What made the entire episode hilarious was when we realized that the train had stopped moving by the time I reached my seat.


I guess recalling seven memories would be too long, therefore am breaking the tradition and ending it here. Do you have a memory that makes you double up with laughter when you recall.


Linking it to NaBloPoMo -



16 comments:

  1. Cute incidents, even I have more than a few train memories and maybe will compile a series of posts on those :D Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am about to jam in a few in the link Sugandha. Train journeys and I go a long way :P You revived a few memories here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first time on the train was one to Malaysia. I was a kid and since it was cramped and crowded, I didn't really enjoy the experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun incidents.. That's the thing about Indian Railways.. :) guessing you are yet to meet Mr. Shahid ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe... that last incident was really cute :) of course, the tt kicking u out with the crepe bandage was really just mean !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe! probably if he hadn't I wouldn't have a thing to write today ;)

      Delete
  6. haha! That's quite a traina dventure, 1000 buck fine and the poor guy's white shirt. Once I traveled standing in a train between Mumbai and Pune..that's was quite something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vishal :) I am sure train journeys are always worth memory.

      Delete
  7. ha! All very interesting bits. I too plan to collate my 'train diaries' some day. All will be damn funny I can assure you :D

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice post! Merry Christmas, I have nominated you for the versatile blogger award, check http://aayesha1611.blogspot.in/2013/12/versatile-blogger-award-yay.html

    ReplyDelete

You surely want to leave a comment. Don't you? Go ahead! please :)